Compton Abbas New
St Mary the Virgin
This is an exceptionally attractive church with a broach spire designed by George Evans of Wimborne and erected during 1866-7. Inside, the ribbed chancel with apse makes a very pleasing focus of attention. There is a Lady chapel and a Norman font featuring 'trails', which may have been re-cut by the Victorians.
The church was built so that it was nearer the centre of the main village, thus rendering the 'old' church redundant.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©