St. Thomas of Canterbury
This is a very important country church, occupying an attractive site behind a mellow stone wall. Between 1839 and 1840 Benjamin Ferry, the distinguished Victorian architect, made a very genuine attempt to re-create a medieval church, complete with an apsidal chancel. This was before Pugin and Scott, who are more usually associated with the style. The embattled tower is 15c and has been most skillfully grafted into the 'new' structure to form a pleasing building.
Benjamin Ferry was responsible for at least ten other churches* in Dorset, including alterations to Christchurch Priory, and a number of private houses and public buildings.
(*The others are: Holy Trinity Dorchester: All Saints Dorchester: Little Bredy: Melplash: Osmington: Plush: Tarrant Hinton: Tincleton: Winterborne Whitechurch)
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©